Friday, December 3, 2010

A Mother's Sacrifice

               And so we began our journey out of Galilee in Nazareth into Judea so that Joseph could register with the census.  All of our worldly possessions packed in several bags upon our mule, and I, heavy with our child, upon its back.  My memory flashes back to the night when His Angel came to me, not in a dream but in my waking hours.  He blessed me and said I would conceive and bear a Son, the Son of God.  I was scared and confused, because I had never known a man.  The Angel comforted me and told me not to be afraid, that I was still innocent and I would conceive by the Holy Spirit.  At that moment, my heart was filled with warmth and joy, as the Holy Spirit blessed me with this child.  Thus I became His disciple and my faith ever deepened in the Lord God.
                Now, upon this mule, my child grew ever bigger, comfortable and warm.  My husband told me that this journey would take about two or three days to accomplish, ever aware of my discomfort from being heavy with child.  I looked upon him, leading our mule to his birth city, knowing he still struggled with the knowledge that the child within my womb was not his.  It seemed however something had comforted him, otherwise he may have put me away, or publically shamed me.  He did neither and we married quietly.
                We approached the city of Judea when the sun was high on the third day.  Joseph found shade for me under a date palm, and went to stand in line to register with the census.  The sun was beginning to sink when he returned to me.  We gathered our belongings, and he helped me to my feet.  It was then I felt the warmth of the birth water run down my legs under my robes.  I stayed silent, for Joseph had the trouble of finding us a place to board for the night.
                The city was crowded because of the census, and because of the late hour of our arrival, many of the inns and boarding houses were full to capacity.  We travelled to several different locations, and were turned away.  I could see the lines of worry on Joseph’s face, fearing we would have to sleep out of doors in the cold.  Finally, we came upon a small inn with a tiny stable behind.  The innkeeper told Joseph that he had no more room, but we could stay in the stable with the stock.  It would be warm and as the air cooled, the stable was a welcomed site.
                By this time, the pains of labor were getting worse, and it was difficult for me to dismount the mule.  Silently Joseph led me to a soft spot in the rear of the stable, where fresh hay was piled.  I reclined on the sweet smelling hay while Joseph brought our things from the mule.  I took out some swaddling clothes I had packed and laid them out on the hay next to me.  Seeing this and the sweat on my brow, Joseph quietly assisted me in the preparation of the birth.  The child came into the world without a sound, small and beautiful, with large brown eyes that studied my face.  I cleaned Him gently and wrapped Him snuggly in the swaddling clothes.  I nuzzled Him close, awed by His beauty.  The animals housed with us seemed to sense the wonderment of this child, and came to rest near us to give us more warmth.  They were silent; all that could be heard was their peaceful, rhythmic breathing.
                We rested for a time, Joseph standing guard over us.  Then we heard a slight commotion outside the stable.  Joseph went out to see, and returned with several men clad in the robes of distant lands.  They stood in the entrance for several moments, and then each came forward and knelt before me and the Babe.  They said they had followed a star to the birth place of the King of the Jews, and were present to pay homage to Him and give Him gifts.
                “What is the name you have given Him?” one of them asked me gently.  I looked at Joseph, who nodded, and I replied, “His name is Jesus.” 
                They each presented their gifts.  “Gold,” one man said, “to symbolize His virtue.  The second man offered frankincense, “to symbolize prayer.”  The third man brought forth myrrh, and quietly said, “To symbolize suffering.”  I looked into his eyes, and seeing the fear in mine, he replied, “This child who you hold at your breast, will be a great man.  Many will behold Him and love Him just like you do now.  Centuries from now, people will continue to revere Him, kneel in awe before Him, and many will die in His name.  He will be the Savior for humankind, but He will suffer to save them.”
                For the rest of the night, as the venerable ones kept watch over us, many people, mostly shepherds and stable hands came to kneel before my Son.  He beheld each visitor, and they beheld Him, and so was the beginning of His Kingdom.
               
For those who believe in Christ, this is the true meaning of Christmas.  Remember the reason why we celebrate, and kneel before Him in reverence and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment