Sunday, October 3, 2010

Be Kind--Rewind


Ahhhh, the digital age.  If I was rich, I would have state-of-the-art everything.  However, I don't think we are doing too badly.  We have the HD television, the desktop, the laptop, a smartphone, Blu-Ray player, DVR, Wii, and even X10 lights. 

And yet, as I take a closer look and survey our stock of technological devices, I realize that we are obsolete.  Our HD TV only transmits in 720P, and it's a plasma...can you even buy plasma anymore?  They have been replaced with LCD and eco-friendly LED.  The desktop, even though we bought it in 2006, is an antique.  I'm still operating with Windows XP and a corded mouse.  The Blu-Ray was obsolete before we even unpacked it from the box.  It doesn't have a wireless component for downloading NetFlix.  And why hasn't Star Wars been released on Blu-Ray?  If we get the hankering for some Han Solo, we have to hook up the VCR. 

The VCR.  I remember when we got our first VCR.  I think it was around 1985.  It was great, we could watch Mickey Mouse whenever we wanted.  We used to tape the weekly top 20 music videos from MTV.  My sister would watch David Lee Roth and his spandex singing "Yankee Rose" over and over.  We would go to little J & R Video and rent the same movies every week..."The Pink Panther", "Strawberry Shortcake", and "The Care Bears Movie."  Then a couple of years later, all we watched were "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" and "Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead." 

Now, there are no more rental stores.  The Blockbuster in Groton died a couple of weeks ago.  Towards the end they didn't have much in the way of movies anyway.  Mostly video games.  I'm glad they put it out of its misery.  Now its NetFlix.  I don't like NetFlix.  We don't watch enough movies in a month to make it worth our while.  So we are rewatching movies from our library.  But seriously, how many times can you watch the "Back to the Future" trilogy?  We are starting to run out of options.  Right now we are running through the Harry Potter series to prepare us for the premier of the seventh movie in November.  I know, I know...I am a thirty-something woman watching witches and wizards flying on broomsticks.  Call me strange, call me weird, but don't knock it until you try it.  But I'll have you know that I'll be the first one in line at the November 19th premier and be proud of it too!

Now to get back to the travesty at hand as I sit here and type on my wired keyboard connected to my antique computer.  We are an obsolete and disposable society, but I will always love technology.  Right now I have my eyes on the HP TouchSmart 600 with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.  But by the time I get the funds together to buy it, it will also be obsolete, having been replaced by something bigger, better and brighter.  So until then, leave me in my obsolete world, working on my Windows XP desktop, watching my non 3D television, and our NetFlix disabled Blu-Ray player.  I'm as happy as a clam.

No comments:

Post a Comment